We’re looking for an Lead Engineer specializing in Machine Learning to join a AI startup in Waterloo.
The workplace is changing and this team has built the world’s first Intelligent Sales Coach. New sales hires have more complex needs and want more personalized and frequent interactions, while also demanding more independence. Companies can’t survive the future of work with yesterday’s management practices. This team uses machine learning and natural language processing to give sales teams more autonomy and make managers dramatically more productive.
The Engineering Manager will support a fast-moving team of talented software developers working to own infrastructure. We are looking for someone who can build happy and productive teams, moderate and facilitate discussion, and manage project goals. You are a skilled people-manager who deeply understands the challenges of working on a software team from your own extensive experience. You not only optimize your own code but also make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. You implement processes to maximize the team and support others in doing the same. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
In this role you will:
- Manage an existing, fast-moving team of 4+ software engineers
- All people-management activities including owning an aggressive hiring roadmap; we are looking to double the size of the engineering team
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced startup environment, including task planning and code reviews
- Set and refine team processes while establishing a clear direction
- Contribute technically to projects
- Meet regularly with all direct reports for one-to-one discussions
- Remove roadblocks and facilitate discussion
- Identifying the need for new processes, creating them, and refining and improving existing processes
- Provide performance feedback (both positive and areas for improvement)
- Optimize culture and workflows between work groups for rapid growth
- Write and deploy code to chatbots, cutting-edge web applications, tools and more
What we’re looking for:
Don’t worry if you don’t have all of the qualifications listed below – we’re particularly interested in someone that learns quickly, so if you only meet some of the criteria but think you’re up for the challenge, please still reach out – we’d love to talk to you!
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years successfully managing a team of experienced engineers.
- 5+ professional experience as a software developer in a team setting.
- Experience building and deploying software on Linux (or other Unix-like) systems.
- Excellent people skills and strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Experience of developing software via an agile methodology
- Three years building and supporting web applications (full stack).
- Knowledge of web infrastructure: HTTP, web servers, caching and proxies, etc.
- Can identify areas of technical debt and assess the cost/benefit of resolving them.
- You still code because you love it.
- Hungry for career growth, seeking leadership opportunity in engineering
- Our team is 50% women and 30% immigrants
- We have more data scientists than developers
The Environment & Benefits:
- Located in Uptown Waterloo, in the Communitech Data Hub
- Flex hours & unlimited vacation
- 100% paid, premium medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Office is wheelchair accessible
Interested in learning more? This search is being led by Joe Frank of Artemis Canada. Please contact Joe at email@example.com